How to pronounce Eau in French?
Eau is a noun in French that means water in English. In French “l’eau” is a feminine noun: une eau. The plural is: “les eaux”.
- Il est très important de boire de l’eau tout au long de la journée: it is very important to drink water all day long
- Ne marche pas dans l’eau!: Don’t step in the water!
- Il tombe de l’eau tous les jours: it’s raining every day!
- L’eau est la source de la vie sur Terre: Water is the source of life in Earth
- Le projet est tombé à l’eau à cause du manque d’argent: the project fell through due to lack of money
How to pronounce “Eau” in French?
The word “eau” is pronounced /o/.
- /o/ sound: The tongue is back, the mouth is more open and the lips are rounded. Your vocal cords vibrate.
Beyond the word water “eau” in French, anytime you find the letters “eau” in a word they are pronounced /o/, for example:
- beau is pronounced /bo/, meaning: beautiful
- bateau is pronounced /bato/, meaning: boat
- bureau is pronounced /byro/, meaning: desk
- anneau is pronounced /ano/, meaning: ring
- gâteau is pronounced /gato/, meaning a cake
This Instagram video will show you the right pronunciation of “eau” in French. Click on the link to listen to this video or directly play the video shown below.
If you’re interested in taking your French pronunciation to the next level, check our article on how to pronounce French words.
Related Words in French
La goutte d’eau qui fait déborder le vase.
In French, we use this expression when we’ve had enough of something. It means the last straw, the straw that broke the camel’s back. For example: Je n’en peux plus, c’est la goutte d’eau qui fait déborder le vase: I can’t take it any more, that’s the straw that broke the camel’s back.
C’est une goutte d’eau dans la mer
Let me present you another expression with “la goutte d’eau”. This expression means that something is so small that it has very little effect. For example: Ce changement est ridicule, c’est une goutte d’eau dans la mer: this change is absurd, it’s a drop in the ocean.
Join the online pronunciation course if you’re looking to improve your French pronunciation quickly. You can get enrolled today and boost your French learning to the next level!